Saturday, May 23, 2009

Scrapbook pages basics - or scrapbooking for Dummies!

Here is a really, really simple double page spread that I made last night. It only took about 30 minutes to create both pages, so I meant it when i said it was quick!
One of the most basic elements of a scrapbook page is the photo mat. As you can see from the photo, I used some of the 'background' paper leftover from the border. What an easy way to build a cohesive layout, and not waste paper!



And look at this border - how simply elegant is it?! This was a new die to me in this week's order. It's the 'Swirly' Bid Shot decorative strip die ($19.95, 113456) and I think that I am in love! I dreamt about this die last night and all the possibilities it has! So you know that it's going to show up a fair bit in the not too distant future!
And aren't borders another way easy thing to make your two pages look like they belong? I'll be featuring borders every Saturday for the foreseeable future, so stay tuned!!
This border picks up the color of Lauren's cast, another little trick to make your pages 'make sense".
Another element that your pages need is a border. This layout uses another new die to me - the 'Naturally Serif' Big Shot die ($19.95, 113453). This may be the most value for money for a scrapbooker ever! It's another long decorative strip die, meaning that it is 12" die, but that includes ALL 24 letters, big and small! And they are just the perfect size for a scrapbook page - not too big or too small.
I got a little Gladware container that I placed all of the other letters that I didn't use in, and I'm thinking that it won't take too long before I have a great stash to create all sorts of creative titles with the mismatched letters!
These letters also fit beautifully into our circle or square punches. I didn't have enough room for the 1 1/4" squares punch, so I just used the trimmer and made little 1" squares - easy-peasy!!!!!
So, if you want the great and versatile Naturally serif die, and if you need the Big Shot to go with it, give me a call to place an order! 303 805 2344
Recipe:
Paper: Bashful blue DSP, summer sun, bashful blue
Tools: Naturally Serif & Swirly Big Shot dies, 1"circle & 1 1/4" square punches, paper trimmer
Pen: basic black & bashful blue stampin' write markers
Hugs
Megan



0 comments: