Thursday, June 25, 2009

Just hanging around for you!

Isn't this cool? I had a dream about this card last night, so I thought I'd better try to get it made before it went out of my head!
I had wanted to do some more brayering for a while, and this gave me the perfect excuse!
First I brayered Gable Green along the bottom of the card. (To brayer like this you run your brayer length wise along the ink pad, scooching it just a bit more around every time. Then you run it along the card again and again - it kind of smooshes all together. Like all of those technical terms???) Then clean your brayer and repeat the process at the top of the layer with Summer Sun.
The layer that has all the brayering is Whisper White and it is 5 1/4" x 4". That's the standard size for a first layer on a standard card! (Just a little helpful hint there!)
Next, I stamped the tree trunk from the stamp set "Branch Out" in Basic Brown on either side of the layer. The leaves were stamped in Mellow Moss and Old Olive, use the lighter ink first (Mellow Moss) and then you wont have to clean the stamp - just stamp off the excess onto your grid paper! Was that another helpful hint??? I think I'm going for a record here!
I sponged around the outside of the card lightly with the Basic Brown ink. The Crop-a-dile is perfect for getting the holes cut out on the branches, and on the "swing"! Use the smaller hole for eyelets.
The "swing" is a large oval punched out of Chocolate Chip, a small oval punched out of Gable Green and the saying punched out of Whisper White with the Word window punch. Helpful Hint number 3!!!! ALWAYS stamp the image before you punch it out! If you've ever tried to line up a stamp on that skinny little word window you'll understand why. If you are smart enough not to have done that - don't!!!!
I used the linen thread through the eyelets (from the Earth Elements container) and tied it all kinds of weird and wonderful ways. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that I was not a Girl Scout!
I then backed it onto a piece of Chocolate Chip and pt that onto a Glorious Green card base.
Just for fun - Helpful Hint Number 4 : Always use a bone folder to score your card bases. It really does give them a much nicer finish!!!!
SO - ready to give this a try? I am planning on teaching this card at my July Fabulous Friday class. July 17th is the date - email me to book a place. The cost is $15 and along with this beauty, we'll be making 4 other fabulous cards!

Recipe:
Stamps: Branch Out, Teeny Tiny Wishes
Paper: Whisper White, Chocolate Chip, Gable Green, Glorious Green
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Mellow Moss, Old Olive, Gable Green, Summer Sun
Accessories: Brayer, Large and Small oval punches, word window punch, Earth Elements eyelets, linen thread, crop-a-dile, sponge

Hugs
Megan

0 comments: